After 50 years, she lived for 20 days

Face of a woman mostly covered by dry leaves

Rani was 11 or 12 when an earthquake destroyed her home and family in a small town in north India. One year later, after he collected the earthquake relief money from the government, her uncle, the only other survivor, kicked her out.

Rani landed in Mumbai, where the people of the big city and their ways made her uncomfortable. Finally, she reached Pune and found employment with a family.

She became the full-time caretaker to the old woman of the house. They forged an affectionate bond. The old woman promised Rani better days and a better living. Rani’s prime years passed her by as she lived for her dreams.

Many years later, the old woman died. And Rani was back on the streets.

She found a job at a school. After some years, she started working at the home of the head of the school.

When her bleeding and abdomen pain refused to stop, her employer took her to a government hospital. The diagnosis: cancer of the cervix, malignant and very advanced.

Her employer then brought her to what Rani thought was another hospital. At the time of admission, she reassured her employer, “I will come back and work as soon as I get better.” Her employer snapped back, “I never want you to come back.”

The palliative care center admitted Rani as a destitute.

As the pain subsided and she started feeling better, Rani did not know how to deal with the attention she was getting. The nurse often found her sleeping on the floor at night. “The bed makes me feel like a queen. I am more comfortable here.”

Now that she had a new family, Rani suddenly became a child and started making fancy demands. Vada pav, puri bhaji, lassi and Coca Cola were among her favorites. And please don’t get those from the canteen, buy it from outside.

The raging cancer would not let her keep anything down. One bite and she would throw up. One sip, and she would apologetically close the bottle and keep it away, to try again later.

“No more fancy food; just eat what we give you,” the nurse said in mock anger. Rani laughed; the nurse helplessly joined in.

The attendant gave her a bath, combed her sparse hair and tied it into a thin bun. The security guard came with a flower. Would it look nice on her hair?

One night, Rani died peacefully. She was 70.

The employer sounded relieved on hearing of the death and reaffirmed that the institution was free to do what they thought fit.

The institution had a signed document that authorized them to do what they felt right with the destitute before and after her death. The police had endorsed the document.

The crematorium got a copy of the document too, along with the death certificate and a copy of the driver’s license of the person who took the body there.

They all took care to make sure they would not be in trouble later.

As for Rani, after 50 years of serving others and 20 days of living for herself, she did not care anymore.

Her name was not Rani. Everything else here is the truth.


4 thoughts on “After 50 years, she lived for 20 days”

  1. Vijay, i just wish a few more people got to see this, my request stands, when i return from my training trips which is 9th i want to make a trip with you to this place. Lots to learn. Thanx once again.

Your comment?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s